Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Star Diner North Wildwood NJ

When I started going to Wildwood (I grew up in Neptune near Asbury Park) it was to me like the shore of my youth, only the children, tattooed and pierced as they are, do seem better behaved.

However I was not enamoured with the restaurant scene. I still don't think there is good pizza to be had, but then I live in pizza heaven. I discovered this when I was younger and moved to California where pizza was a dough Frisbee with tomato-paste/water sauce and white pastey grease on top. Wolfgang had yet to be born-again and produce what he calls pizza but any North Jersey Italian would call-can't be repeated here.

So off I went to discover what North Wildwood had to offer. We visited The Triangle, which is no longer really there. My husband laments the loss even when we are snug in our northern home.
He longs for the Turkey Club which hit his pallet with the taste of very well cooked sugary bacon, snap-fresh iceberg lettuce, jersey tomatoes, moist turkey-breast, and toast that was really toast, warm and fragrant.

The Triangle was a "family" restaurant that was bought by another family. With them they brought a new menu and a new business. The old Triangle was gone.

Enter The Star Diner, North Wildwood. It has taken on the sort of sparkly ice-cream-parlor-doo-wop Deco facade that has largely disappeared from the Wildwood scene due to development.

It can also get very packed with lines out-the-door, like many Wildwood and North Wildwood restaurants.

The food is better than some higher-priced fare in the area. It is presented in a very clean and diner-ly way, but has texture, flavor, and aroma. The fries are crisp, the hamburgers juciy, and the salads fresh. I am going to report again on this diner as I await summer. The portions are large (I never finish).

We will see what the economy has done to this industry as I will be revisting and doing comparisons.

No comments:

Post a Comment